Paranormal Investigation At Alcester War Memorial Town Hall
Time & Location
About the Event
In 1618 the Lord of the Manor of Alcester, Sir Fulke Greville III, provided the sum of £300 for the building of a market hall. Prior to that traders and customers would have gathered at a well and market cross which are likely to have occupied the same site. Upstairs, boards display the names of High and Low Bailiffs of the manor from 1299 to the present day. ￼They also jailed offenders in the basement prison known as The Hole, which still exists today. Its massive oak door with iron bars is now on display in the main ground floor room. The cell was still in use as the town lock-up until about 1850 when a new police station opened in Henley Street. ln 1870 the roof was modified into the “hammerbeam” form seen today, although for a time it was concealed by a false ceiling. By this time the old market had ceased, so in 1873 the Marquess of Hertford (whose family had become Lords of the Manor in 1813) enclosed and converted the ground floor for use as the town’s magistrate’s court. The town stocks were stored here and are on display on the ground floor. They are of unusual design with four iron wheels, ready to be pushed outside through the streets of Alcester when required. ￼During the Great War the hall was used as a hospital and was renamed The Alcester War Memorial Town Hall in memory of those who had given their lives for their country.
Please be aware this location has not had any confirmed paranormal activity but is alledged to be haunted.
This event is not suitable for pregnant women. NO ALCOHOL or DRUGS will be tolerated if we believe you are under the influence you will not be allowed to participate & be asked to leave with no refund.
We regret that due to the nature of the location, it is not suitable for wheelchair users.
- Alcester Town Hall£25+£0.63 Service fee£25+£0.63 Service fee0£0